Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Ski World Relationships; Fortunate to Have Them

As the temperatures warm and dry land training starts, it's nice to have those moments to reflect on the year gone by as I run, ride, suffer on a cross country machine or groan on a squat rack in a musty gym.

In those moments I can see clearly the faces of those I spend time with during the winter, from the closest friends to those I reconnected with or came to know this past season.

More than anything I think about the strength and character that some of those people showed this year and are still showing. Some have had incredible burdens to bear while managing their own busy ski careers, taking care of clients, families...you name it. Never once did these people let their personal burdens affect others...or even their own performance, both on and off the snow.

In fact, in retrospect, they clearly used their personal troubles as motivation to achieve new successes... a true sign of an indomitable character and something to be greatly admired, as not all of us have such iron will and self control...or even such an ability to bear up under these strains.

In my runs through the woods I think of several of these people in particular and feel blessed to know them and be able to call them friend. They set an example for others just by being who they are. The world could use more people like them.

I hope they read this and know how much I appreciate who they are and how glad I am to be fortunate enough to know them. You rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment